Current:Home > reviewsNew Mexico prepares for June presidential primary amid challenge to Trump candidacy -GrowthProspect
New Mexico prepares for June presidential primary amid challenge to Trump candidacy
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:20:04
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico’s major political parties are scheduled to certify presidential contenders to appear on the state’s June 4 primary ballot, amid uncertainty about whether Donald Trump can be barred from contention by any state under anti-insurrection provisions of the U.S. Constitution.
Party-certified presidential candidates will be vetted in February by the New Mexico secretary of state’s office to ensure they meet administrative requirements to run for the office. New Mexico Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver, a Democrat, said she won’t exclude candidates that meet administrative requirements — unless a court with jurisdiction intervenes.
The Colorado Supreme Court on Tuesday barred Trump from the state’s ballot under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which prohibits anyone from holding office who swore an oath to support the Constitution and then “engaged in insurrection” against it. It’s the first time in history the provision has been used to prohibit someone from running for the presidency, and the U.S. Supreme Court is likely to have the final say over whether the ruling will stand.
Little-known presidential candidate John Anthony Castro has challenged Trump’s eligibility to appear on the ballot in New Mexico and Arizona in federal court based on anti-insurrection provisions of the 14th Amendment. The Arizona lawsuit was dismissed earlier this month and a ruling is pending in New Mexico. Trump lost the New Mexico vote in 2016 and again in 2020 by a wider margin.
A county commissioner in southern New Mexico last year was removed and banished from public office by a state district court judge for engaging in insurrection at the Jan. 6, 2021, riots that disrupted Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory.
Former Otero County commissioner Couy Griffin has appealed that ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court after the New Mexico Supreme Court declined to hear the case based on missed filing deadlines. It’s unclear whether the U.S. Supreme Court will take up Griffin’s case once it’s fully briefed next year.
The constitutional provision used to bar Griffin — and now Trump in Colorado — has only been used a handful of times. It originally was created to prevent former Confederates from returning to government positions.
“These are constitutional issues and it is not the secretary of state’s role to make this kind of a legal finding in New Mexico,” said Alex Curtas, a spokesperson to Secretary of State Toulouse Oliver. “As long as a candidate meets all the administrative requirements to be placed on the ballot in 2024, they would not be excluded from the ballot unless a court with jurisdiction made a legal finding and ordered that person to be excluded.”
veryGood! (2)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- First look at new Netflix series on the Menendez brothers: See trailer, release date, cast
- NFL cuts 2024: Recapping major moves on Tuesday's roster cutdown day
- Report says instructor thought gun was empty before firing fatal shot at officer during training
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Brittany Cartwright files to divorce Jax Taylor after 5 years of marriage
- Nvidia's financial results are here: What to expect when the AI giant reports on its big day
- Tristan Thompson Celebrates “Twin” True Thompson’s Milestone With Ex Khloe Kardashian
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Stefanos Tsitsipas exits US Open: 'I'm nothing compared to the player I was before'
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Cheerleader drops sexual harassment lawsuit against Northwestern University
- New Jersey man drowns while rescuing 2 of his children in Delaware River
- Report says instructor thought gun was empty before firing fatal shot at officer during training
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Megan Thee Stallion hosts, Taylor Swift dominates: Here’s what to know about the 2024 MTV VMAs
- Body of Delta Air Lines worker who died in tire explosion was unrecognizable, son says
- Report says instructor thought gun was empty before firing fatal shot at officer during training
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Kaley Cuoco's impassioned note for moms in Season 2 of Peacock's 'Based on a True Story'
Workers are breaching Klamath dams, which will let salmon swim freely for first time in a century
DJT sinks to new low: Why Trump Media investors are feeling less bullish
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Bowl projections: Preseason picks for who will make the 12-team College Football Playoff
80-year-old man dies after falling off boat on the Grand Canyon's Colorado River
Woman shot at White Sox game sues team and stadium authority